About the Museum

Located in The Warren overlooking the harbour, the Polperro Heritage Museum of Smuggling and Fishing houses a remarkable collection of exhibits and 19th century photographs as well as many items of memorabilia dating from the 18th century when both smuggling and fishing thrived in Polperro. It vividly brings to life the story of this Cornish fishing village's extraordinary history and many of the people who featured in it. Contraband goods were smuggled across from Guernsey on a huge scale during the latter half of the 18th century, the Polperro boats often risking seizure by Revenue vessels patyrolling the Channel. Of the many Polperro vessels involved in smuggling at the end of the 18th century, the Lottery was the most infamous. The story of the Lottery's involvement in the murder of a Customs officer in 1798 which led to the trial and execution of one of her crew in 1801 is graphically told (left). Another Lottery crewman, Robert Mark, was later killed at sea by a shot from a Revenue vessel. His inscription can be seen in nearby Talland church where he lies buried, and his cutlass (inscribed and dated 1789) is also on display in the Museum.

Add Comment

* Required information
Powered by Commentics


No comments yet. Be the first!

Search Box

Related Links

Polperro Heritage Museum of Smuggling and Fishing 2024 Event Schedule
 No events at the moment.

Get in touch

Use the information below to get in touch with the museum before setting off.

Polperro Heritage Museum of Smuggling and Fishing Office

  • Address: Harbour Studio, The Warren, Polperro, Cornwall
  • Postcode: PL13 2RB
  • Phone: 01503 272423
  • URL: www.polperro.org

Business Hours

  • Opening hours are 1030 to 1730, March to October

Polperro Heritage Museum of Smuggling and Fishing

Within a radius (as the crow flies) of 14 miles:

#7.3 miles   Boconnoc Steam Fair


PL10   PL11   PL12   PL14   PL15   PL17   PL18   PL22   PL23   PL24   PL26   PL30  

July's Historic West Country

The Gaumont Palace Theatre (now Gaumont Bingo Hall) opened in Taunton in July 1932. The Theatre became the Odeon Cinema in 1969..Archive WWW.WESTCOUNTRYAUTOJUMBLE.CO.UK